Established in 1971, The Vancouver Waldorf School (VWS) offers school programs from Parent & Tot through to Grade 12. Our school operates under a transparent, fair, and equitable governance structure through a College of Teachers that effectively empowers faculty to participate in the school’s running and through a Board of Trustees with fiduciary responsibilities.
The Principal is a member of the VWS Management Team (MT) and is responsible for upholding the legal requirements for operating a school in the province of British Columbia (BC), including student safety, while supporting the Waldorf pedagogy and philosophy. This multifaceted key leadership role works closely with the Pedagogical Manager (PM) and the College of Teachers (CoT) to ensure the school curriculum meets BC Ministry of Education and Child Care (MECC) requirements. The Principal also plays a key role in fulfilling the school’s vision, mission, and values and creating a vibrant learning environment within a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. In addition, the Principal serves as the external representative of the school and official spokesperson for certain outside agencies, associations, and regulators.
Skills and Qualifications
- Must hold a BC Independent School Teaching Certification or equivalent issued by the BC Teacher Certification Branch
- Good understanding of the BC curriculum and ability to work within the requirements of the MECC
- Demonstrated leadership experience in a school (as a teacher or administrator)
- Advanced training or degrees in the realms of Waldorf education, administration, or educational leadership
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders, including the MT, BoT, CoT, external agencies, and staff
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Excellent organizational and management skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and tasks
- Competency with computers
- Reliability: following through on initiatives and requests
- Salary range for this 1 FTE position: $62,265.00 – $93,450.00 per annum dependent on experience and qualifications
- Employee benefits include tuition remission, extended health & dental, life insurance, and short and long-term disability
- RRSP Matching Program after one year of service
Term: permanent, full-time, with flexible start time between March 1 and July 2, 2024, depending on successful candidate availability.
This job posting is intended to summarize essential duties and qualities. A further detailed job description will be included in the interviewing process.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, February 8.
Refer to the Employment Opportunities page for details about working at the VWS.